Transact SQL Other Articles Software Reviews
Along the Kowloon Canton Railway (KCR)
Built by the British in 1910 as a way of linking Kowloon to the border with China, the Kowloon Canton Railway (KCR) was extended two years later to form a vital overland connection to the trading city of Canton (now called Guangzou) in Southern China. Although there are still regular train services from Kowloon to Guangzou and the rest of China, the line has now been extensively modernised and extended to form a vital commuter service between Kowloon and the new towns of Hong Kong's New Territories.
The main KCR railway line is now referred to as the KCR East Rail, and spans from East Tsim Sha Tsui to the border with mainland China at Lo Wu. There is a branch to the Ma On Shan Rail line at Tai Wai to its terminus at Wu Kai Sha. A separate KCR West Rail line runs from Nam Cheong in West Kowloon to the new town of Tuen Mun in the New Territories.